Monday, March 17

"Healthy" Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins (dairy free if you want, vegetable oil free, white sugar free, & soy free)

Happy St. Patricks Day! I have been pinched three times so far today. Yes due to the little babies growing I don't have a green shirt I can wear. I was thinking though... maybe if you don't have a green shirt or outfit you can be green in what you eat. Green as in healthy :)

Speaking of being being pregnant, I have been eating a bit healthier - yesterday's fries at Red Robin don't count right? Good ;) These delicious muffins with no white sugar, no brown sugar, no vegetable oil, no butter completely fit into my goal of healthier meals and snacks. Seems like I am wanting a snack every 3 hours which is a new thing to me. I am not a snacker. I was not snacker I should say. Have a chocolate snack with me! Your body will thank you. Due to eliminating caffeine I had to sadly eliminate the espresso powder from my muffins, but I suggest leaving it in - to really bring out the chocolate flavor. Trust me. Every time I make chocolate cake I use espresso powder. I haven't had great luck finding in stores so buying it online is usually easier and preferred. 




The 12 muffin recipe takes only about 30-45 minutes to create. 
Author of the recipe: She Bakes Here 
Note: You'll need a food processor or blender for this recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp espresso powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 ripe avocado pitted, and peeled
2/3 cup real 100% maple syrup
3/4 cup milk or almond milk (I used cows milk because thats what I had)
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (on stove or microwave)
1 tsp pure extract
1/2-3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
 (I used soy-free, nut free, milk free, semi-sweet mini choc chips brand Enjoy Life) but regular choc chips work too... dark chocolate chips are awesome! 
(I have done this recipe a few times)


Directions: 
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Line your muffin pans with liners and use cooking spray if you want - I did. I have had too many things stick. 
3. Whisk the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, with a mixer, or just a large spoon
4. Use a blender or food processor to blend the wet ingredients until its smooth like a sauce
5. Fold in the chocolate chips. 
6. Scoop (the batter is thick) a couple scoops into each muffin liner. 
7. Bake for 17-20 minutes. The tops will be cracked. Some turbinado sugar would a be a cute little addition (before baking) and would make the cracks look original.  
8. Let the muffins cool 12-15 minutes before serving. They crumble less when they are slightly cooled. 


Enjoy this great breakfast - make it now and have easy snacks and meals for the rest of the week... Happy green holiday! Be green and healthy and don't get pinched. 

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!