Thursday, August 7

Kid-Friendly Snacks Part 2: Tropical Smoothies


I have been making a list of kid friendly snacks on my blog lately. This is snack number 2, but let me reassure you that these are full flavor, and adult friendly too. No sorry this doesn't mean they have adult beverages in them - baby on board - but you won't think you are having a kiddie snack if you try them out. At least on this particular snack there aren't any faces or hidden veggies - just solid good eats. 

It's been hot the last few days. Is it hot where you are? We have been hovering around 105 degrees. Which reminds me of how much I love my fridge that makes crushed ice and my blender. Both of those are key components in my smoothie addiction. I wonder if there are groups for people who are addicted to smoothies. You come in and sit down, wear name tags, and introduce yourself like the sharks on that Disney movie who are trying very hard to not like eating fish. I would probably need to sign up. I wonder if they serve snacks like smoothies there? There is something so satisfying about drinking something cold and filling on a hot day. 




Cold. Refreshing. Yes this kid friendly snack has turned into one of my favorite breakfasts. Its easy, fun for kids, and only takes 2-3 minutes or however long it takes to peel a mango. Those slippery fruits are hard to cut sometimes. But it doesn't have to be just for breakfast. Its a great way to get some extra fruit in our bodies after running around all morning or being at school all day before settling into homework. Do try. You don't even have to tell anyone about the healthy fat that I added to balance out the sugars.




Tropical Smoothies
serves 2 or 3 

To make it you'll need 7 ingredients: 
1/2 naval orange, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup of oj or apple juice (I have done it both ways)
1/2 cup of plain organic yogurt
1 mango, peeled and sliced
1/2 of avocado
1/2 cup of crushed ice or ice cubes
1 banana chopped or broken in a couple pieces and frozen the night before. (I just keep a couple in quart size freezer bags for easy smoothies when the bananas get too ripe to eat instead of making banana bread in the summer)

Directions:

1. Combine everything in a blender. 

2. Blend it all together. If you have a sleeping spouse try to not wake them up. 

3. Save the other half of the avocado so you can make another batch tomorrow.

4. Drink immediately.

5. Sign up for that class for smoothie addictions. No nevermind it can wait another day like when summer is over. 


Enjoy!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!